This neo-Renaissance palace, built in 1884 to accommodate Bishop Josip Juraj Strossmayer‘s private collection of European paintings, is Zagreb‘s foremost collection of old masters. They are hung in nine intimate rooms on the second floor. Italians fill the first six, with Fra Beato Angelico’s ‘Martyrdom of St Peter’ in room 1, Bellini’s newly restored ‘Saints Augustine and Benedict’ in room 3, and Carpaccio’s ‘Martyrdom of St Sebastian’ right next to it. The collection continues with Flemish (Brueghel), Dutch and German painters, with a final room devoted to the French – ‘Portrait of Madame Récamier’ by Jean Antoine Gros is the stand-out picture here.
Strossmayer’s Gallery of Old Masters Trg N Zrinskog 11 Zagreb