Ferdinand Budicki (1871-1951) was a pioneer of automobile culture in Croatia, opening the first car repair shop and dealership in the country. This museum, housed in a hangar-sized building just east of the centre, celebrates Budicki and everything auto-related with an impressive array of cars and motorbikes. Most of the collection focuses on the post World-War-II period and as such functions very well as a museum of modern consumerism – an Elvis Presley LP sleeve is displayed next to a sleek 1959 Chevrolet Impala; Sixties-era magazine covers displaying mini-skirted pin-ups stand next to a group of five Minis. There are also several oddities that never quite made it as contemporary design icons, such as the 1956 BMW Issera; a two-seater car without any side doors that was entered through an angled front bonnet. The lack of a Croatian motor industry is something to be lamented, although the presence of a blue Zagreb tram ensures that there is at least one exhibit of local origin.
Ferdinand Budicki Auto Museum Ljudevita Posavskog 48 Zagreb